Monday, October 22, 2007

The State of SLIS

I think it's time for the Dean to weigh in on the status on SLIS and our future as a School. I am delighted to share that SLIS is doing quite well. Also, I need to clarify what it means to be conditionally accreditated. First, we are accreditated, fully accredited. Our full accreditation status will be maintained provided we successfully host a re-accreditation visit in March of 2009. A conditional status means that you go through accreditation in three years rather than seven, as is usually the case. Further, you complete additional documents to establish that you are correcting the problem(s) noted in the re-accreditation visit that resulted in the need to go through the process sooner. Granted, it is preferable to remain fully accredited. However, it is also quite an opportunity to examine the direction of the School, rally the School, University, and the community behind SLIS to ensure SLIS is going in a positive direction. SLIS needed to do some self-examination. I knew this to be the case when I came for my interview. However, there is no need for alarm. Far from it.



SLIS's faculty is aware that the planning process needed to be bolstered. Further, that we need to ensure we engage our stakeholder community (you) in the process. We are dedicated to doing this. If we do it successfully, and I am quite sure we will, we will retain our accreditation status and further, maximize our contribution to the field and to the academic community. We didn't need to revamp the entire program. Nor did the program completely fail its previous accreditation visit. The planning process was considered inadequate. That problem is actively being corrected. Further, the University is strongly behind SLIS and providing resources to ensure our success. SLIS has received permission for new faculty hires, we have identified and obtained a consultant to ensure we meet our ALA requirements head-on and successfully. We are already working to prepare a dynamite report that will demonstrate the greatness of SLIS that did not come out in the previous report. As is oft quoted from Mark Twain, "Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." Rest assured that we have have been diligently at work ensuring a favorable outcome of the upcoming accreditation visit at SLIS slated for March 23rd and 24th of 2009. So, we've been active but not speaking as loudly as perhaps we should. Our conditional accredited is something we will address wholeheartedly and our university's support for our efforts is stellar.


If you have been concerned about SLIS's future. Don't be. I do not make it a habit to bet on a losing horse. In fact, I don't bet. I ensure that when I come to an institution, and make it my home, I ensure the odds are in my favor. SLIS is strong, it's a great program. It's a program with a great deal of potential and its future is bright. You have my word that we will be better than we were before and we will achieve much through the self evaluation process that is self study. Most people will tell you I don't give my word unless I can deliver. SLIS will deliver in 2009 and for every student that enrolls in our program. Be a part of a brighter tomorrow. Be a part of something that promises to be even better than it has been before. Be a part of SLIS!

2 comments:

ebrarian said...

I really like these posts. They help me feel more secure about the program.

Kim said...

Great, Kristen, I certainly want to keep you informed and solicit your feedback. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.